Thursday, December 3, 2009

Visit a New BirdHouse in Samutprakarn

Yesterday I had a chance to visit a new Bird House in Samut Prakarn Province which is south-east of Bangkok.
This new BH is situated on the fourth floor of an old electronic toy factory. It is a big building with an area around 700 meter on one floor only. The owner has moved his factory to a bigger plot of land next to this building. So this building has been left vacant due to an economic downturn during the last two years.

I arrived around 6 pm. They invited me to go to the fouth floor. I said it would be very tied to climb 4 storeys at my age. You know what, we went to the fourth floor by an elevator!
In the equipment room, the consultant, Mr.K, and his team were working on the control system of the temperature and humidity.The temperature had reached the desired level at 27 degree celcius, but the relative humidity is still far below the desired set point at 85%. The RH was slowly climbing up from 68% to 70 % and stable there until I left at 8 pm.

The interior was very well built with very good workmanships, all four walls were insulated with foam sheet and covered with a cement board to protect the room from outside heat. Wood plank were neatly installed with corner pieces. Around the wall, there were so many ventilation holes covered with a blue PVC pipe, the opening of each pipe faced down to the water trough, inside each pipe was a small fan, each and every one of them! The air was drawn from outside the building through the pipe and blown into the water to create humidity and thus cool down the room. When the desired temperature is reached, these fans will be stopped as controlled by a sensor placed in the middle of this room and a thermostat at the equipment room.
There are also 8 humidifiers placing on the floor with a sensor connected to a hygrostat in the equipment room. Once the desired humidity is reached, the hygrostat will automatically turned off these 8 humidifiers.
This room is approximately 20* 35 meter, with  two rows of column.
There were also 300 tweeters installed. All the tweeters were turned on full swing, it was quite an experience to me to be in a BH!

The entrance hole is a dog kernel type at 3* 4 meter(W*L) and 5 meter high on the roof top. When I was on this roof top I could see a very big pond near by this building which is a big advantage to this location.
There were also 4  infrared cameras installed to monitor the entrance hole and 3 more spots inside the BH.
The owner said he paid around one million Baht for the renovation and all the equipments (excluding the land and building), which is equivalent to 1,430 Baht per square meter.

Mr.K told me that he used three types of sound for this BH.
One external  and two internal sounds. The two internal sounds are the mating sound and the soothing sound.
He said the mating sound should be open until 9 pm and after that play the soothing sound until early in the morning and switching back to the mating sound.
I asked him to play me the two sounds, he was very kind to show me the two sounds.
I showed him my two sounds that I got from a friend and from the internet.
He can quickly pointed out that one is a baby bird sound and the other one is a bird call sound which he also claimed that this sound  is originally his.
I was impressed!  the first sound that he said was a baby sound was indeed called a Piyik sound. Piyik means baby bird.

They invited me to go back again the next morning to see the optimum atmosphere inside where they hoped the required RH will be reached. I politedly said no, as I had already saw what I wanted to see.

This is my first visit to a BH, it is really an eye opening to me.
See the pictures of this BH building's step by step renovation process from the beginning in here.
http://www.srcthai.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=539028918

Good luck to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment