Friday, November 19, 2010

Mold Mold Mold

This year we have heavy rain and flood all over the country.
Most bird house owners like rain because birds like rain, but certainly not this type of rain from depression.

The after math of rain and flood is high humidity in our bh if there is no good bh practice.
In the factory, there is a term called "GMP" or good manufacturing practice.
So in bh, we should also have "GBHP" or good bird house practice.

If the humidity is way too high, then mold will occur on the plank.

As I surfed the internet to understand more about mold so that I can prevent mold and cure it in my bh when it happens. I found that the bh's conditions that we try to maintain are exactly the conditions that mold likes to germinate and grow.

To prevent mold growth, it is recommended that you should not do the followings:
1. Avoid using unpainted wood in the house as it is particularly susceptible to mold, we do.
2. Do not allow the humidity to go higher than 60%RH, we do 80-90%RH.
3. The optimum temperature for mold is 25-30 degree celcius, we are at 28 degree celcius!

So we do everything that is a "don't " in mold prevention.

The graph below showed the humidity ranges that mold(fungi) and other kinds of micro organism like.
For bacteria and virus, they love both high and low humidity ranges. For Fungi, it will grow only at 60%RH upwards.

optimum zone

There are six types of molds, and all of them will grow best at temp 25-30 degree celcius and humidity 75%RH upwards.

Humidity temp Fungi type

Hello there, are there any bh with good micro conditions do not have mold growth?
My guess is none! It either sooner or later only if you have GBHP.

Then what should we do to make it grow slower, what should we do to cure it when it happens!
Should I continue or should I rather keep what I found to myself as most of you do?
I'll decide later.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps, you can try this:
    http://mdk-swiftlet.blogspot.com/2010/10/mdk-fungus-killer-for-swiftlet-houses.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I wasn't looking for one.
    My bh isn't finished yet.
    Good try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for you research

    ReplyDelete